Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bulldogs take basketball opener at Lisa Academy


By Hunter Brooks
UCA Sportswriting

The St. Joseph boys basketball team started the 2013-14 season off with a win Thursday, going on the road to defeat Lisa Academy, 64-50.

Bulldog coach Brent Bruich said his team was shaky in the season opener.

Senior Drake Cooper led the Bulldogs with 17 points. Junior Schrekenhofer added 16 points and sophomore William Fields added eight off the bench.

“I wasn’t displeased, but we have to execute better,” Bruich said. “We were really wild out there. (Lisa Academy) forced us to be into some bad situations, so I’m hoping it was just first-game jitters. I expect us to continue to improve.”

Senior point guard Landon Enderlin added six points.

"He’s been starting since sophomore year,” Bruich said. “He’s always been a leader by example, but he was the most vocal I’ve seen him. Cooper did a great job as well. They want to emphasize what I say in the huddle, and I enjoyed watching that.”

Bruich noted the new starters filled their roles after gaining experience last season.

“We did lose four starters, but off a team that won 31 games, I played 10 guys,” he said. “I had six guys playing in the game (Thursday) that played in almost every game last year. I saw some kids step into some new roles. They’re still learning, and some meet my expectations in those roles. For a first game, they did fine.”

St. Joseph next plays at County Line on Nov. 1. The Bulldogs' first home game will be Nov. 5 against Dermott.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment